Electric Blanket Fire Causes
When an electric blanket fire starts, the results can be devastating – particularly if:
- No one is around to identify and deal with the early signs of these fires.
- The fire starts close to items that can readily catch fire (like curtains, bedding, etc.).
- The fire erupts close to young children who do not know fire safety procedures (or who do not know to call 911).
Some of the specific factors that can cause or contribute to electric blanket fires include (but are not limited to):
- Faulty wiring in the electric blanket
- Faulty wiring in the outlet in which the electric blanket’s cord is plugged in (which can cause a short circuit or sparks)
- Damaged wiring (such as frayed wiring due to, for example, a pet chewing on it) in the electric blanket’s cord
- The blanket material being made of a cheap or particularly flammable fabric
- The blanket being left on for extended periods of time without any attention paid to it
- Stuffed animals, books or other objects being placed on top of or under the electric blanket for extended periods of time
- Tucking an operating electric blanket into bedding (i.e., making the bed with an electric blanket)
- Folding the electric blanket when it’s in use
- Washing and/or drying the electric blanket.
It’s important to point out that:
- Even if the instructions for the electric blanket state that it should not be used in a certain manner, the electric blanket should still NOT catch on fire due to mishandling the blanket.
- The Consumer Product Safety Commission and Food and Drug Administration do their best to recall brands of electric blankets that have been reported to start fires.
- When electric blanket fires do occur, injured parties will likely have a personal injury claim against the manufacturer (and possibly the distributor) of the malfunctioning electric blanket.
- Electric blanket fire lawyers are here to help injured parties obtain the compensation they need and deserve so they can focus on repairing the damage and recovering from the injuries caused by the fire.
Electric Blanket Fire Attorneys
In the aftermath of an electric blanket fire, victims may overwhelmed and anxious, especially if they have suffered any injuries or if their home has been damaged. While they may have insurance that they expect with cover such injuries, losses and damages, insurance companies are often not looking out for victims’ best interests and, instead, are looking to save their own profits and bottom lines. In such cases, victims will need an aggressive, experienced advocate who can help them obtain the compensation they need and deserve.
Have you or a loved one suffered a personal injury or any type of property loss due to an electric blanket fire? If so, it’s essential that you contact and work with an experienced electric blanket fire attorney who will defend your rights and help you secure the maximum possible compensation you deserve. For more information about your legal rights and to receive professional advice regarding your case, please call the Law Office of John Gehlhausen at 720-542-7885 or email us—we can help!